Monday, May 9, 2011

"Revising" and Chai Tea

Exams. They are far more intimidating here than back home, for two reasons primarily. 
1. They are all worth at least 50% of your grade if not more. (Don't mess up)
2. They must be intense, because everybody goes to the library and 'studies' there are all day. And I do mean all day- for like 10 hours.
Intimidating eh?


However, this does make it clearer why we simply have no class for the last month and a half- people just review and study. Honestly, I think I prefer when my entire grade doesn't depend on one or two exams, but it's also nice that I didn't have loads of mini assignments during the semester. Another good thing about this system (if your exams are spread out that is), is that you can concentrate on one exam at a time, really pouring all your attention into one subject versus dividing your time amongst several! For example, last week was just about Archaeology, and this next week and a half will just be focused on French for me!
Another odd bit about this system- exams on Saturdays? Whose idea was that? It was rather strange- last Saturday I had my first written exam (archaeology), and yet it wasn't during the school week. Odd. It was also strangely reminiscent of either Harry Potter O.W.L.S. or the SATs...
A very formal set up, desks all spaced neatly in rows taking up the entire, enormous room which seemed doubly large with its soaring ceilings, fitting over a hundred students. After placing all our bags and coats along the wall, we meandered to a desk to find multiple pieces of paper- question sheet, exam booklet and paper for our signature and student number saying, yes I was here!! Pen only, hour and a half- GO!


Also, correction, it's not just studying, it's 'revising' as I learned in passing the other day. "What are you up to today mate?" "Oh, just revising this week for my exam." To me, revising just sounds like I read over my notes once, but who knows? Here, apparently that means hard-core studying for your exam!
As I mentioned last time, I've always loved the idea of studying in a fun place, whether that be outside in a park or in a small café, and this week, it was a small cozy tea shop called Tchai Ovna. It's really close to my flat, only a 2 minute walk or so, and has come to me heavily recommend by friends, so I figured it was time to give it a try! Very relaxed feel, it was the first day in over a week that it was raining, and for once I didn't mind. It was nice to be able to settle down inside with a nice pot of tea. They had a small garden and seating area outside, but the rain steered us away and into a room full of mismatched furniture: tables, chairs, couches, cushions and lamps of all varieties, none particularly matching with the others, but all very cozy. After being handed a menu (actually, a binder) full of more than 100 kinds of tea, we found a seat and were told to order at the kitchen when we were ready. After pouring over the contents for some time, my friend Shannon and I decided to go for a chai, since this place was famous for them. Yogi yogi chai tea to be exact- we got a whole pot full!
And it was the most delicious chai tea I've ever had in my life. Milky, sweet and piping hot, the spicy aroma greets you first, and also leaves a lingering tang afterwards. We slowly sipped our way through some three or four cups each before the pot was empty, and I could have gone for more! So, if you come to Glasgow and are looking for some good tea, hit up Tchai Ovna. I particularly recommend their chai. For obvious reasons.
It's also a great place just to hang out and study, which is what I did for the next few hours, spread out on a table with my archaeology notes, book and flash cards!





Another fun thing unique to the University of Glasgow is a Salsa group on campus! Having a thing for dancing, I really couldn't resist. It's actually a really ingenious idea started up by two guys here. Teach salsa lessons on Wednesday and Sunday nights for all levels (beginners, improvers and intermediate) and charge only £2. That's a good enough deal, but what makes it even better is that the money goes to WaterAid, helping provide clean water in other countries around the world, something I'm also passionate about. So combine helping the world and dancing you get Salsa4water! I first learned about it through the international society, and have been going on and off throughout this semester, and it's so much fun! Last night they had lessons and a salsa club afterwards- were some really impressive dancers came out to put me greatly to shame. But I still had loads of fun! A good thing about being a girl and salsa dancing is that the guy leads, so if he's good it can be pretty easy to follow even if you aren't sure of the move. Granted, you still need a basic instruction and this doesn't always work for more complicated moves, but it's still easier to be the girl than the guy! Salsa is also addicting, once you start learning you can stop and want to learn more moves!


One of the things to do when I get home- look into salsa dancing clubs! Who knows, maybe we can start one up at McDaniel?

No comments:

Post a Comment