Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Studying in Scotland! (planes, trains, and yes, it rains)

Just 5 days ago I was in Maryland, packing everything into exactly one suitcase and two carry-ons (1 personal item and 1 carry on permitted, yeah Continental!). Now here I am in Glasgow, Scotland!!

I have always wanted to study abroad- there are so many places in the world to go and I love traveling- so why not travel and study at the same time? It's a fantastic way to explore a new city, discover a different culture and make new, lasting friends from around the world. So in my mind- what's to lose?

While I was originally going to Brussels, Belgium with the French program there, I decided to wait a year to improve my French. But I was disappointed. My heart was literally set on being abroad in Spring 2011- now what? GLASGOW!!! Through this group of American Universities called the Principia Consortium, McDaniel sends honors students over to Scotland for a semester. The University looked incredible, as did the wide number of courses offered, so I switched plans and applied to go to the University of Glasgow in the spring.

And got accepted!! Leading me to 5 days ago, packing. What do you bring for an entire semester? Knowing full well it may be cold and rainy an awful lot, but you may travel elsewhere? RAINBOOTS! It was an adventure just getting those to fit. The days leading up to my leaving there was an awful lot of last minute shopping (to get a raincoat for instance, proper shoes and more). But suddenly it was my last night in the States, and then I was passing through security at the airport and on my way to Newark, NJ. And from there- Glasgow!

While we left Newark an hour late with delays, the flight went without a hitch and a nice man helped me put my carry-on up top. The flight went by really fast, from serving dinner (which was actually quite good-teriyaki beef) to waking up and having breakfast on New Year's Eve(a toasty croissant and exactly 5 pieces of melon). Then I could see Europe just beneath us! After we landed, the man helped me again, and we got to talking. People really can be quite caring and nice. He also offered me his card in case I needed anything while I was there, he's a doctor in the city. And so off we went, I got my luggage and withdrew some Pounds (£) then found a taxi very easily and was off to the University! 

My view out the window before arriving in Scotland!

Fireworks of the city of Edinburgh! Beautiful view from Calton Hill

These fireworks were RIGHT next to us! The columns made everything so majestic.
The windy stairs to my friend Evie's flat- with our boxes of Fish N' Chips!



First of all- driving on the other side of the road is rather bizarre. Cab drivers are great though because they know a lot. It was also fun getting introduced to the city by a true Scotsman, accent and all! There was a brief scare at the Main Gate where I'm meant to get my keys... they couldn't find my name.... but then they found them and it was all fine.

I somehow managed to get my suitcases up the stairs to my flat (or apartment as you Americans call it) to explore. It's pretty nice- Kitchen with adequate freezers, stoves and shelves/utensils; bathroom with two showers and two toilets and 4 sinks and then 4 rooms. There are 3 doubles and 1 single. So far, only me, my roommate (who just arrived today), and the girl in the single are here. So we have the US, Canada and Japan represented so far! I love it.

Getting around is so easy. The subway is cheap and easy to use, and really close. I lucked out on housing and am right next to the University, very close to the city center. I just have to walk down a mammoth hill, and I'm on Byers Road with all the shops! This means that getting groceries is easy...on the way there. On the way back, carrying all that I was exhausted.

The very first day I got a UK phone to get in touch with my friends who live in the UK and spent the next couple amazing days with them in the city of Edinburgh for Hogmany, or New Years. No idea why it's called that, even they didn't know!

Main differences so far:
There were bag pipers out and about!


Bagpipers! I couldn't resist taking pictures of them.

 The architecture in the cities is amazing! All old stone work, cathedrals and castles. Nothing is this cool in the US.
Pubs are just part of the culture, you always go there for a meal and drinks.
Accents. I love them. And have unfortunately started absorbing them already...
Rugby and Football (soccer) rule
Using pounds/quid instead of dollars, it's hard to familiarize yourself at first with everything and how it looks

Weird similarities:

STARBUCKS: it has definitely taken over the world. It's everywhere in the cities. In Glasgow I literally saw one across the street from another.
This was actually our meeting place in Edinburgh! Starbucks has taken OVER!

Other stores still here: Subway, Pizza Hut, H&M, Apple (funny to see an Apple store inside an old stone building)
Cities are expensive.
New Years= fireworks!!
Skinny jeans and boots are the fashion (as in EVERYONE wears them)


There are probably more that I can't think of, but no matter. I love it here so far and can't wait to see how the semester goes!

1 comment:

  1. A nice article here with some useful tips for those who are not used-to comment that frequently. Thanks for this helpful information I agree with all points you have given to us. I will follow all of them.
    Study Abroad Consultants in Chennai

    ReplyDelete