Friday, January 28, 2011

Tea for Two

So this weekend I've decided to actually explore Glasgow. Sounds obvious right? After all, I'm going to school at the University of Glasgow. I LIVE in Glasgow. And yet... just from talked to the students here, even those who have been here for 2 or 3 years now, they don't know the city that well. Instead of getting to know Glasgow, they have simply up and left it. Neglecting the amazing, vivacious cultural center for other countries, other towns. After all, it will always be there for them. Except that they never do get around to exploring it..


So before I become one of those people, it's exploring time!!! Thus this weekend! I have walked about the main city center quite a bit, going to and from Celtic Connections concerts, shopping, clubbing, and having Photography class at the GSA (Glasgow School of Art). So that area of town I 'know' a bit now. But there is still so much to explore!


Today, my friend Shannon and I decided to hit up GoMA- the Glasgow Museum of Modern Art, the Willow Tea Room, and the GSA (despite having class there, it's not in the main building, which I haven't seen much of).


So first GoMa!! Here are some shots of the outside:
yes there is a traffic cone on his head. no idea why people don't take it down- I think it's just part of the statue's character now
GoMA!

Merchant City is the area all around GoMA- café and shops and such, fun to browse around in
The museum was free which is great, but not very big. There was an exhibit on the first floor of all these weird child-like things- the coolest by far was this balloon projection. At first you didn't really notice it, but once you did you couldn't stop staring... and then you discovered it was a projection...and that there were faces flickering in it sometimes. Weirdly cool.


My other favorite piece here Tropical Glasgow!! funky metal palm tree


Love stained glass windows- these were all over the building


The amazing ceiling/ railings


I thought this was hilarious :)


GoMA lobby- glass everywhere, like a mosaic



We explored the rest of the of the museum, including a cool exhibit of modern art on human rights and justice themes. Well, most of them were cool. Some was just weird modern art...

Then we went on to the Willow Tea Room, which is supposed to be pretty famous. It's designed by Rennie Mackintosh, a famous architectural and interior designer from Glasgow School of art. So everything, from the chairs to the railings is designed by him. Shannon and I had our 'afternoon tea' which is really this amazing tower of food:


Starting with the sandwiches on the bottom, then the AMAZING scones on top, and finally eating the desserts- lemon meringue  for me, chocolate cake for Shannon. We also had the Willow Tea Blend- I'm growing to be a fan of tea!
 So after a lovely afternoon tea, with so many good things (including cucumber sandwiches! This immediately made me think of The Importance of Being Earnest ... after Ernest/John has eaten all the sandwiches..."WHY ARE THERE NO CUCUMBER SANDWICHES LANE?? I ordered them especially for Aunt Augusta!" "I'm sorry sir, but there were no cucumbers in the market today. Everyone was out sir.") we headed out to visit the GSA.

It has also be designed by Rennie Mackintosh, and there is evidence of his touch everywhere from the exterior doors and windows to the moulding inside! So before I realized you weren't allowed to take pictures inside...
Outside the GSA
Inside! this sculpture above the staircase apparently incorporates the 3 things in the Scottish (glasgow?) coat of arms: a tree, bird and rose.


I ended my exploring by attempting to go to the Tenement House, a recreation of the tenements during Glasgow's industrial boom period. Unfortunately, when I walked there, I discovered it didn't open until March... so another time! Tonight, I get to explore a bit more of Glasgow's night life- checking out a club called O2 ABC0 hopefully it'll be fun!
I'm hoping to go to Glasgow "The Barras" a huge market, tomorrow, and maybe the science center and botanical gardens. A busy day ahead!!

Could do with more of those scones too...

No comments:

Post a Comment