Thursday, February 3, 2011

"Did you bring a sword to class??"

That has got to be the quote of the day for me. In my French tutorial today, our class was going on like normal with grammar reviewing and such, until one of the boys in our class noticed the other had brought in a long bundle wrapped bundle with Japanese symbols on the cloth, and caught the end of his conversation which had the word 'sword' in it...


"Did you bring a sword to class???" he asked, somewhat astounded. 


Yes, as a matter of fact, he did- for some Campus group or club that I suppose does Japanese fighting styles. Definitely a good way to end a French class.


While I had a cool weekend exploring Glasgow, I also somehow managed to catch a cold. I'm blaming it on the weather here- cold and rainy probably isn't the best thing for your heath if you are out in it for long periods of time! On the plus side, I did get to explore the Science Center! And, being a Wallace and Gromit fan myself, greatly enjoyed their third floor exhibit on inventions! For those who have no idea who or what Wallace & Gromit is... go educate yourself.
Wallace & Gromit!! :) designed like their house in the movies

An ironic invention


 (just kidding! They are a BBC inventing duo! From claymation animator Nick Park, Wallace is British inventor who lives with Gromit, his pet dog, who may just be smarter than anyone else... they are both British and consider it a crisis if they run out of cheese and crackers)


Getting to the Science Center just required a subway hop and then a walk, public transportation is so easy over here- I wish it was this simple in the US! 
Inside the subway- unusually empty, so I was able to sneak a picture without being creepy

Outside the Science Center! (building to the right)
There are two things I should mention about Glasgow- the weather, and the nightlife. Today, the weather is CRAZY! In the morning it was bright and sunny and looking like a positive day, so I got optimistic....I should know better by now... It is now intensely windy and cold, with raindrops stinging your face if you go outside.


But that's Glasgow for you- sunny for maybe an hour, then rainy, then maybe just cold- oh look!! sunsh-nope, rainy again. Right now I seriously do not want to leave my flat for fear of getting blown away. Then there is the fog of Scotland, which I've mentioned before. That's it's own category of crazy.


However, despite this weather, the night life makes up for it!! Glasgow always has something on, there are loads of clubs and live music venues, or just pubs if you want to sit and chat with a few mates over a drink all open pretty late. Last Friday I got to go to this place called ABC (for free!! which made it all the better) where they had a huge dance area and a really big stage where the DJ was dead center, and speakers all around. It was a pretty neat venue:


ABC club
So what's a little (or a lot..) of cold and rain, if you can be warmed up by dancing and friends??


On another random note- I have official been in Scotland for over a month now! Hard to believe. Arrived the 31st of December, and it's now February 3rd. I can already tell that my time here is going to fly by, so I aim to make the most of it while I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment