Saturday, February 26, 2011

Days go by...and Spring is in the air!

Whew what a week. It amazing how quickly things can pile up on you. This week, for all intents and purposes, was a Mara-needs-to-get-things-done week. Specifically French work and an Archaeology paper due this Monday. It's so easy when you are studying abroad to get into the flow of always traveling, and always going out, because it's a different world from back home. And because it is so different, it's easier to just pretend that school work belongs back home on that campus, and not here..


So, when you are sudden confronted with work, it seems to be such a challenge to actually sit down an do it, having to say no to invitations, and go sit at your desk or in the library for hours. For me, this week was kind of a step back into my life back at McDaniel in the sense that I was actually doing work all the time. Which also made me realize that I have a lot more freedom here to choose how to spend my time. Nobody made me spend hours studying, but it made sense for my course, and my eventual exam grade!!


On the plus side, I did discover the AMAZING 3rd floor of the library! Not only does it have a café, but it is a 'social learning' zone, meaning conversation is permitted. Along those lines, there are some really cool study areas set up for group work. There are red booths, just like at a restaurant, which fit about 8 people in them, less if you spread you things out. These have quickly become my favorite area to work! So much table space for books and laptops, and they are really comfy too! Each booth is equipped not only with outlets and internet connections, but also a TV screen you can connect to your laptop. Pretty nifty eh? This also means that I can meet friends there and watch Italian football matches with them! Other areas are these huge round enclosures, with green seating all around the cylindrical walls and a round table in the center. They could easily fit about 10 or 15 people. Dispersed on the outside of these walls are computer stations and these are other wavy desks of PCs on the floor. Basically, a really cool place!


One thing I miss about McDaniel though, is the big iMacs! Probably because I'm a Mac person... but having the large screens is also hugely beneficial for me, whether I'm doing Graphic Design projects, or doing research and have numerous windows up on screen.


While I have been studying all week, and making travel plans for spring break, the days seemed far too short to contain everything I needed and wanted to do. The amazing thing about these days though, and specifically the past three days is that there are flowers coming up!! All around campus, purple, white, yellow and striped crocuses are pushing through the soil and blooming. Daffodils are slowly extending their light green stalks to the sky and revealing tender buds.


Kelvingrove Park near my Uni


Still in the park- see U of Glasgow in the background on the right? The building in the distance on the left is the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum


There has even been sun! Incredibly, for the past three days, the weather has been stunning. Sunshine all day and temperatures in the 50s (Fahrenheit)! It was wonderful- it made just walking around a pleasure. Having to go into the city for my Photography class, I went a bit early and just meandered about. Everything seems more vibrant with the sun- and it tempts you to look UP for once. This might not seem like a big deal, but when you start looking up in the city, you suddenly notice all this amazing architecture you didn't see before! Try it sometime.


I did also have the wonderful experience of baking fresh blueberry muffins with my friend Shannon yesterday. Sounds pretty mundane right? Oh no!!
These were heavenly blueberry muffins. All you have to do is look at them....




They were so good, I may have had three..


Muffins and tea- its a brilliant idea. Speaking of tea, I've been converted. Back home, I was never a fan of tea, I only drank it when I was sick because it was supposed to be soothing. But even then, I didn't like it- too watery, no flavor. All of a sudden, I find I really enjoy tea! Maybe it was having high tea at the Willow Tea Room that convinced me, or just the fact that tea is everywhere and very British. Maybe tea just tastes better in the UK. For whatever reason, I love tea now and am a happy convert.

No comments:

Post a Comment