Friday, February 11, 2011

SUNSHINE!!!!

Yesterday was possibly the most exciting day of the month. Because there was SUNSHINE!!


Now this might not sound all that exciting, but if you've been reading any of my previous posts then you realize how awful the weather has been lately. Not being a native Glaswegian myself, a solid 2 weeks of rain and wind and constantly being damp and cold can get you down a little bit. I found myself wish for just two hours of sunshine. That's all I wanted- just two hours! Because the weather here has the tendency to trick you- it might be sunny in the morning and you get really excited and then by the time you walk out the door... it's already cloudy.


Which leads me to yesterday! Waking up and getting breakfast in the kitchen, the light was amazing! But despite that little burst of joy, I didn't let myself get too excited- it was only going to get cloudy and rainy again in a hour. But then I left for my first lecture, and it was still beautiful! On to my French tutorial- STILL sunny. What kind of amazing day was this??


After snagging a quick lunch in my flat I grabbed my backpack and nearly raced outdoors, I could stand to be inside when it was this nice! Granted, some people got a little too excited about the sun and warmth- there were guys walking around in shorts and a T-shirt (hey now boys, it's still only in the 40s...). I decided to walk down to the Botanical Gardens again, to see the rest of the building and grounds now that it wasn't pouring rain.


It was, hands down, glorious. It's incredible how a simple change in weather like sunshine can suddenly change everyone's attitudes and actions. Everyone was so cheerful and happy, walking about with smiles on their faces. And everyone was out. Students lounging on the grass doing reading for courses, mothers and the children playing in on jungle gyms, couples strolling hand in hand through the gardens, old men with canes admiring the view, joggers with their headphones in. They all felt the same pull I did- get outside and enjoy the sunshine while you can!


Exploring more of the gardens, I discovered a rose garden that will be absolutely gorgeous in the spring- can't wait to see all the flowers bloom!
Funky cactus inside the Gardens
I love all the flowers inside!
Orchids!




Signs of spring are starting to emerge though, the days are now slightly longer (it doesn't get dark until 5 or 5:30 now in stead of 4:30!! yippy!), and I've seen little white flowers pushing up through the soil. It was definitely a good idea to come in the second semester. Now the days will just keep getting longer and warmer instead of colder and shorter!


A few random things to mention:
-When I tell people I'm from Maryland, some of them automatically say "Oh! Like the cookies?" Apparently there are these 'Maryland Cookies' here, a store brand, and they are basically chocolate chip cookies. We do not have Maryland Cookies in Maryland. Who started this??


-Planners here are called 'diaries', so professors will let you know to mark dates in your diary. So what do you call a diary? ...a diary..


-I go to Uni, not college here


-Cupcakes are made differently here too! I find this hilarious. But the British, or maybe just Scottish way of making cupcakes means that after they are baked you frost them and put a candy on top. Always a candy (a 'sweet' or 'lolly') like a jelly-bean or gummy or something. Don't know why, but I find it amusing :)


-Soda is a 'fizzy drink' or soft drink. I love the term fizzy drink, and it does fit perfectly! Along those lines if you order a lemonade, you will get a Sprite. So I still haven't worked out how to actually get a proper lemonade...




Thats all for now! Feel free to ask any questions you have!

No comments:

Post a Comment